Economics in and around Biosphere Reserves
This workshop took place in the morning of Day 3 of the 4th World Congress of Biosphere Reserves in Lima, Peru.
Colin Campbel (ASC) gave a brief introduction about the value of social capital and participatory processes, social enterprise/entrepreneurship and the importance of social investment in the context of biosphere reserves.
Presentations from the members of the workshop panel covered issues around Green Economy (Sheila Nana Akua Ashong from Accra, Ghana), Social Entrepreneurship (Martha ‘Pati’ Ruiz Corzo, Sierra Gorda, Mexico) and Social Investment (Shaun Paul, Reinventure Capital, Boston USA: video presentation).
This was followed by presentations highlighting examples of work taking place on these themes from across the globe;
- Social Enterprise in Ethiopia (Dr. Kifleyesu-Matschie, Ethiopia),
- Partnerships Initiatives between Local Authorities and Local Companies (Dr. Druckrey & Guido Puhlmann, Germany),
- Social Enterprise and Labeling in the Republic of South Korea (Dr. Suk-Kyung Shim, ROK)
- Social Economy in Spain (Aquilino Miguelez, Spain)
Delegates then had the opportunity to take part in a discussion around how an entrepreneurial approach might support BRs & MAB Networks to deliver on their aims and objectives.
Key recommendations from the workshop were to;
- Develop a thematic social enterprise network within WNBR: communicate more broadly the value of social enterprise together with specialist support and training
- Continue development of OASIIS: to create models and case studies
- Put an emphasis on Social Entrepreneurship as a mechanism that will drive the shift towards a sustainable future in local regions as a tool for biosphere reserves to find Local Solutions to Global Challenges
- Produce regular OASIIS Reports on socio-economic indicators of the impact of social entrepreneurship in and around BRs
We would like to thank all those that attended the workshop including those that were not able to attend and look forward to working with everyone on to progress the recommendations from this event.